FOODA Sphynx cat should always be fed with a superior and high-quality cat food which will cater to their naturally high metabolism.
- A cat (of any breed) should never be left to go without food for long periods, unless this is on veterinary advice.
Noodle & Prune's Food History
Noodle's breath smelled on the RC Kitten so I decided to try a different brand to see if this improved things. I made a slow transition onto Hills Science Plan - Kitten (dry). I did note an improvement in her breath so kept her on Hills Kitten food until she was just over a year old.
Kitten variety food is suitable to use as a weaning food. It can be soaked in water or formula to make it soft for weaning very young kittens and getting them to eat both dry and wet kitten foods ready for new owners to collect them at 12 weeks.
To aid the mother cat to regain lost weight and condition after kittens have weaned and have left for their new homes the mother cat should remain on Kitten food for several weeks at least until she has returned to her pre-pregnancy weight.
Hills ID - Adult Vets Essentials - (dry)
Natural Instincts RAW FOOD
When Noodle's first kitten was old enough to wean I began introducing her to raw food. She took to immediately and, once well established she no longer needed her mother's milk. Since it was put down for the kittens and Noodle showed interest I also began to introduce raw food as a future diet change for Noodle at the same time keeping up her normal dry food diet.
Prune, joined us when Noodle's first kitten was ready to go and as she was also weaned onto raw food by her breeder it made sense to continue feeding raw.
Home Produced Raw Food
Since raw was what I was trying to get established, after a while having researched it fully I decided to make my own investing heavily in a grinder and boxes for freezing batches of processed raw meat, offal and bone.
Transitioning back to dry food
Noodle who I already knew to be sensitive, did not do so well as Id hoped on raw and began to become sick. Consulting with the vet we tried various methods to help her here including her being anaesthetised to have her throat and stomach examined to check for any hidden problems.
Eventually I made the difficult decision to come away from raw once more and returned her to the dry good she did so well on, this time opting for an adult food made specifically for the Sphynx Cat made by Royal Canin.
Noodle's Second Pregnancy July- August - September 2018
I have Noodle on Royal Canin Kitten mixed with Royal Canin Mother & Baby. Both are suitable for gestation as well as being suitable for her kittens when they are born and old enough to eat solid foods. Noodle does not seem to suffer the same bad breath she used to do on RC kitten food.
As I feed my cat dry and it is always down, Prune is also eating the kitten and mother and baby mix!
This is true Cupboard Love.
Uses for treats
Certain toys can be used to satisfy their superior intelligence along with treats as rewards for working it all out - We like this one - Trixie Brain Mover Strategy Game
- LickyLicks on LickyMat Soother
- Cheese (Prune in particular- even dairylea)
- Cod (Noodle)
- Digestive biscuits/crisps/crackers. Noodle is a piglet, particularly now she is on a permanent low calorie diet.
- Dreamies - All kinds
- Moist sticks - Any make of these as popular with Noodle though Prune turned her nose up and walked away right up until she had babies. I guess she was so greedy for extra calories she got over her reluctance. She is still dainty & slower whereas Noodle will gobble an treat. I buy those that have a meat content of at least with a 95%.
- Chicken Hearts - those on raw diets love these!
- Whitebait (also part of the raw food treat range) are loved!
She will also give me a kiss as a way to ask for treats. She will kiss me and then check my hands. I've been trying for a High 5 but she is not cottoning on.
I've recently purchased a hotel desk bell and am planning to dedicate time to teach them to ring it to ask for a treat. I might live to fregret it but can always hide the bell away.
A word to the wise - keep treats shut away. Your cat will know exactly where they are and get keen when you go near that cupboard or drawer!
- Johnson's Baby Bath
- Virbac Sebocalm Shampoo
- Virbac Sebolotic Shampoo. This product is not for long-term use.
- Clothing - I have shopped on Etsy mainly and have quite a wardrobe of clothing by now including UV protective fabric onesies with matching hats for both girls!
- Harness - My best one so far is from Butterfly Cat Jackets on Etsy
- Panacur Paste for Cats
- Panacur Liquid
- Styptic Powder - Hyperdrug Styptic Powder
- Heat mat - Pet Nap Pet Heat Pads - A heat mat is one of the best purchases I have made particularly since Noodle became sexually mature and I discovered heat helped to soothe her. I purchased a flexible one to begin with, however, this was replaced later on with the solid one. She loves it! I purchased a second one since Prune and Noodle don't always like to share!
- Pet Beds - all kinds. We have caves, igloos, tents, snuggle sacks and more. Some store bought and some are handmade coming from Etsy and eBay sellers. A cardboard box also works well and they provide great play places when a delivery has been made. Buy washable wherever possible.
- Pet Blankets - We have all kinds, plush, fluffy and fleece but for kitten birthing, I use Vetbed which is a product that is very widely used by vets because it has some unique qualities including that it can be washed at 90 degrees centigrade (and even jet washed apparently). There are several kinds to vet bed to choose from.
- Litter Tray - I prefer to use a lidded one and chose one designed so that the whole top flap lifts back allowing me ease of access for scooping. I did originally have one of those you turn the handle on and which then has a draw to pull out (supposedly to dump the clumped solid waste). This model needed to be used with a clay litter to work properly, however, this litter type is heavy for me to manage and is also not biodegradable. I also found it quite difficult to turn it and pull the draw which was not as effective as it might have been. I eventually bought the Pet Safe automatic litter tray which uses silica litter. With it, I purchased a permanent tray as the cartidge system for it is so expensive to use long term. Silica litters are biodegradable too.
- Litter locker brilliant for easy and safe disposal of litter waste. Needs refill cartridges.
- The Cat Litter currently in use (at the time of writing) is Tigerino Silica. It does not last one month as it says on the pack but it does trap and contain the smell of urine very well. It is compostable and so its environmental credentials fit with my life values.
- Petsafe ScoopFree Litter Box (purchased December 2017)
- Cazami Cat Exercise Wheel - 2018. Big, but so worth it. Noodle adores this and during heat cycles find it extremely useful to run off her frustrations. Prune took longer to come to use it and will occasionally get on and have a little jog.
- SlinX - Made in the USA by an Etsy seller Simply Sphynx. 2018. Wanted this for so long. Prune loves to climb inside, however, I am disappointed because after wanting it for so long I now find it very difficult to wear. This is because the straps are just not long enough for a lady of my stature to do up. A great shame..